A Group of interested citizens came together in August 1977 in an attempt to save the small house where pioneer and town founder Elias Anderson had lived in his retirement. In this they were unsuccessful, but the group was the beginning of the Anderson Historical Society. The Society celebrates the birthday of Elias Anderson (1817-1907) each February.
In 1998, the society moved into a home of its own at 2330 Ferry Street, Anderson. The Museum features artifacts, photographs, maps, books, pioneer histories, and the Stabler Civil War gun collection. We also feature an old fashioned, award winning, drought tolerant garden that is maintained by the Anderson Garden Club.
The Museum is now the proud home of Anderson's Old Historic Columbia School House, which was recently restored.